The Groton Indoor Volleyball League games occur at Groton Middle School from October - May. Games begin at 6, 7, and 8 p.m. Seasons run 8 weeks plus playoffs. A maximum of 12 teams will play per night. Decisions on number of teams in each division will be determined by GP&R. All official communication from GP&R will go through team captains by email. It will be their responsibility to pass along information to their players.
- Team Registration - captains register teams and pay the fees.
- Player Registration - free but each needs to register annually (one time covers all divisions in all formats)
- Sub Pool Registration
- Players can be added to roster until the start of last regular season match.
- Players must be at least 18 years old.
- Players may only play on one roster in the same type of division. Ex. you may not be on both "B-1" and "B-2" rosters for the co-ed sixes.
- Players are eligible to play on a team that is of a higher competitive difficulty than their normal division(s), but not lower. Competitive difficulty refers to divisional differences, B-1 is considered stronger than B-2, etc.
- Minimum number of players: The minimum needed to play in 6s is 4 players. If a team cannot field enough players, a forfeit will be ruled.
Divisions:Women's A&B - Mondays
Men's A - Mondays
Open B-1 - Tuesdays
Open B-2 Wednesdays
Co-ed Power - Wednesdays (must have at least 2 women on court)
* Groton Parks and Recreation welcomes those who identify as transgender, non-binary, genderqueer, gender non-conforming, or in other ways. We want to place you in the league that meets your needs and where you feel most comfortable, so please register for the league you feel most closely suits you. We’re open to learning new things, so feel free to contact us to discuss any suggestions on how we might help you and others participate more fully.
- Games will be governed by USAV rules unless otherwise noted.
- Substitutes: Teams should have enough subs listed on their roster that they will not be forced to play shorthanded or forfeit. Divisions with a sub pool may use rostered players as subs or use the sub pool. A sub pool is a list of subs on a separate roster (one for each division that uses a sub pool) that any captain can call in their hour of need, and request to sub on their team.
- Subs must follow the above rules for general eligibility (no subbing an "A" player into a "B" division, etc.)
- Subs must complete Player Registration online before playing.
- Any sub can be used by any team for any given league match as needed, even multiple matches on a given night.
- At least 50% of the players who play in a scheduled league match must be rostered team members. If not enough rostered players can play on a scheduled night, a forfeit will be ruled.
- Sub pool subs can be used for playoff matches only if the opposing captain agrees. If the opposing captain doesn't agree, a rostered team must be fielded or they forfeit.
- If a sub becomes a permanent rostered team member (injury replacement, player loss due to move, job change, etc.) they are removed from the sub pool and eligible for playoffs. League Coordinator will rule on each individual case whether to allow this or not.
Volleyball Rule/Policy Change Request Form
Game Information and Policies:
- School closings due to weather will automatically cancel all volleyball matches for that evening. We will make every effort to reschedule games, but there is no guarantee of make-up games.
- Other media may be used to supplement cancel notifications but should not be considered official. Only an email from the VB Supervisor or other GP&R staff is the official notification.
- All teams must report for matches at least ten (10) minutes before start time. Games must begin promptly at the scheduled time. Forfeits are called at 10 minutes past the start time of the first game, at 20 minutes past start time for the second game, and at 30 minutes past start time for the third game. As a courtesy, team captains are encouraged to contact the Supervisor and the opposing captain in advance if s/he knows that their team will be forced to forfeit.
- Teams scheduled for the 6 pm matches are responsible to set up the nets.
- Teams scheduled for the 8 pm matches are responsible to neatly put away all volleyball equipment (net systems, balls) in the storage area.
- Matches consist of three games. All games will be played to 25 with a rally point scoring system.
- Certified referees will be provided if at all possible. In case of dispute, final rule interpretation is made by the Volleyball Supervisor.
- Each team is allowed two 30 second time outs per game.
- All 6 pm matches must end by 6:55 pm. All 7 pm matches must end by 7:55 pm. Ten minutes prior to ending time, a warning is made to alert teams that any remaining games must be completed. Games end promptly at 6:55 and 7:55 pm and a winner (or tie) is declared based on the current score. Any unplayed games are counted as a loss for both teams.
- Consumption of alcoholic beverages during play or competing while intoxicated is prohibited. Individuals found violating this rule will be suspended with no refunds.
- Playoffs: The top four teams in each division are guaranteed to make the playoffs, more may be possible but decisions will be made by GP&R. Playoffs begin the week following the regular season. Playoff brackets will be posted two weeks in advance.
Volleyball Supervisor: Keith Westrate 860-536-8619
GP&R Office Contact: Ben Morse 860-536-5687