Athletes, Coaches, Families & Friends, Volunteers, and Community Partners, THANK YOU for a great Groton Basketball Association season!
When you're out in the community please consider supporting your local team sponsors: Hoyt, Filipetti, Malaghan LLC, Pizza Today, In Focus Eyecare, Mystic Knotwork, Johnson's Hardware, Supreme Hotdogs, The Bridge Market, Sprigs & Twigs, Keith's Appliances, Groton Utilities, Brustolon GMC, G.O.A.T. Physical Therapy, Advantage Personal Training, Valenti Automall/Valenti Family of Dealerships, Randall Realtors, and North Stonington Recreation.
Groton Basketball Association (GBA) is a recreational youth basketball league for boys ages 8-14 and girls ages 8-15 that places high emphasis on instruction, skill development, good sportsmanship, and, most importantly - FUN!
- GBA is a volunteer-coached, youth recreational league that places high emphasis on fun, instruction/skill development, and good sportsmanship. Registration deadline for players is Oct 28th. A $25 late fee applies to anyone registering after the deadline and those players are placed on a Waiting List. A decision regarding player placement from the Waiting List is made after Nov 7th. All players must attend a skills assessment. Assessments will be held on Tuesday October 24th and Saturday October 28th at the Groton Community Center- 61 Fort Hill Road. See full assessment schedule below. The first week of practices will begin the week of November 13th. Game information will be sent out to families when teams and schedules are finalized. Age is determined as of January 1.
Full Assessment Schedule: (Attendance is Required on ONE Day for ALL players)
Tuesday October 24th
- Micro Boys and Girls: 6:00pm.
- Junior Boys and Girls: 6:45pm.
- Senior Boys and Girls: 7:30pm.
- Micro Boys and Girls: 9:00am.
- Junior Boys and Girls: 9:45am.
- Senior Boys and Girls: 10:30 am.
Gerry Smith Sportsmanship Awards
In 2005, the Parks & Recreation Commission initiated the creation of the Gerry Smith Sportsmanship Award upon the passing of Mr. Smith, a commissioner who served for many years. Mr. Smith's passion for basketball and his work as a youth basketball referee led to the creation of the award in his honor. The Parks and Recreation Commission recognizes the outstanding sportsmanship displayed by all players, but seeks to recognize those individuals who display exceptional teamwork, respect, effort and behavior.
For more information, please contact Matt McCluskey (email@example.com) or call 860-536-5680.
Groton Parks and Recreation | 29 Spicer Ave., Noank, CT 06340 | 860.536.5680 | ParksRec@groton-ct.gov
What is the commitment?
Teams have two 55-minute practices a week and a game on the weekend. The season regular season runs 8 weeks and then all teams compete in the end of the season tournament.
Do I need to fill out any forms?
If you are a returning coach all you need to complete is a
New head and assistant coaches need to complete the as well as the Volunteer Packet. When filling out background check forms please note on the DCF form no blank spaces can be left. You need to put NA in any boxes that don' apply to you.
When are games and practices?
Girls divisions typically play Saturday mornings, senior boys Saturday afternoons, micro and junior boys on Sunday afternoons. We have a variety of gyms and times available for practice. Coaches select those times that work best for them.
What happens if a practice or game is cancelled due to weather or other event?
Games will be rescheduled typically for the following weekend. Make up games can fall on either weekend day or possibly a Friday night. If a practice is canceled due to weather it is typically it is just canceled and not made up. If we are bumped from a school for an event we try to schedule the practice in a backup facility when possible.
How are team selected?
We hold a player draft that the head coach or representative must attend. Coaches are given a player list with skill rating from skills day and from the previous season (if available) and any requests(want to play with friend, have certain coach etc.) Coaches then draft their team using information as a tool. We do not make any guarantees on requests. If a coach's child is rated as a 5 then they will be the first round choice otherwise they will be second round.
Key Dates :
- Coaches Meeting: TBA
- Saturday, Oct 27, Micros-8:00 am, Juniors-8:30 am, Seniors-9:00 am
- Thursday, Nov 1, Micros-6:00 pm, Juniors-6:30 pm, Seniors-7:00 pm
- Last Day to register for league: Thursday, Nov 1. After that, players will be put on a waitlist. If space allows the league fee plus an additional $25 will be charged to be placed on a team.
- Draft/Practice sign-ups: Tuesday, Nov 6 at 5:30 pm at Groton Comunity Center
- Coaches Training: Wednesday Nov 7 at 5:30 pm and Saturday, Nov 10 at 8:00 am
- Practices: Start week of Nov. 13
- Season: Dec. 1-2 through Feb 9-10. We try to be complete before President's Day weekend. However, if we are snowed out on the Feb 9-10 we may have games that weekend.