Welcome to the Town of Groton, Connecticut

Fair Housing Policy

Groton's Fair Housing Policy

It is the policy of the Town of Groton to promote fair housing opportunities and to encourage racial and economic integration in all its programs and housing development activities.

Programs funded and administered by this Town of Groton must comply with the provisions of Section 46a-64c of the C.G.S., and with related state and federal laws and regulations that prohibit discriminatory housing practices.

The Town of Groton or any of sub-recipient of the Town of Groton will carry out an affirmative marketing program to attract prospective buyers or tenants of all majority or minority groups, without consideration of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, lawful source of income, disability, age or because the individual has children in all programs and housing development activities funded or administered by the Town of Groton

The Municipality’s Community Development office is responsible for the enforcement and implementation of this policy.  Marchell Magxaka, Neighborhood & Community Planner may be reached at 860-446-5976 or mmagxaka@groton-ct.gov.

Complaints pertaining to discrimination in any program funded or administered by the Town of Groton may be filed with  Marchell Magxaka, Neighborhood & Community Planner. The municipality’s Grievance Procedure will be utilized in these cases.

Complaints may also be filed with the Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities, Special Enforcement Unit, 21 Grand Street, Hartford, CT  06106, Telephone 860-541-3403  within 180 days of the alleged violation by submitting a notarized complaint and/or the Boston Regional Office of FHEO, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, Thomas P. O'Neill, Jr. Federal Building, 10 Causeway Street, Room 321, Boston, MA 02222-1092, Telephone 617-994-8300 or 1-800-827-5005, TTY 617-565-5453.  A complaint may be filed with HUD within one year after an alleged violation.  Additionally, an individual may file suit, at his/her expense, in Federal District Court or State Court within two years of an alleged violation.  If the individual cannot afford an attorney, the Court may appoint one. A suit can be brought even after filing a complaint, if the complaining party has not signed a conciliation agreement and an Administrative Law Judge has not started a hearing. A court may award actual and punitive damages and attorney's fees and costs.

Helpful Links: