please visit the Office of Emergency Management for helpful tips.
You may also visit the Connecticut Department of Public Safety web site, which provides access to the DPS Sex Offender Registry, the Firearms Licensing Unit, and more.
Where is the Town of Groton Police Department records office located?
We are located next to the main lobby within the police department building at 68 Groton Long Point Road in Groton, CT 06340. The police department is situated just south of the top of Fort Hill Road (a.k.a. U.S. Route 1) and is directly across the street from Saint Mary's Church and adjacent to nearby Fitch Senior High School.
- test 2
- test 3
When is the records department open?
The records section of the police department is open Monday through Friday 8:30AM to 4:30PM excluding holidays. Applicant fingerprinting is done on Wednesday only by appointment between the hours of 8:45AM and 12:15PM. Please contact (860) 441-6713 to arrange for your scheduled time.
When can I get a copy of a motor vehicle accident report?
Please allow for a minimum of seven (7) business days following a motor vehicle accident occurrence before calling records at (860) 441-6713 to confirm the report is available for release.
Note: This three-day wait period is a general guideline to allow for investigation and processing of the accident report and may be extended depending on other circumstances.
Is there any cost for obtaining a copy of an accident report?
Yes, there is a charge of 50¢ per report-page administrative cost that was established under and is regulated by Connecticut State General Statute. Call records personnel to determine the actual cost of the accident report being sought. Direct payment may be made by cash, check, bank check or money order. Mailed currency payments are not recommended.
How do I get a copy of a motor vehicle accident report?
After confirming a motor vehicle accident report is available to be released through our records personnel you may either:
- Arrange in advance for the pick-up of the report during the regular department records business hours.
- Arrange in advance with the records personnel for after-hours pick-up of the accident report.
- Mail the requested report case number along with the required fee and a stamped return self-addressed envelope to the records section.
- Go to www.crashdocs.org to obtain a PDF printable copy. Simply search for your report, enter some basic information, make your payment, and receive a copy that you can print or save to your files.
What services does the records section provide the public?
In addition to maintaining the police department records, the records office is responsible for town applicant fingerprinting, performing town record checks, processing town raffle applications and the issuance of a variety of town permits to include vending, solicitors, shellfish and temporary state pistol permits.
How do I get a Temporary Firearm Permit?
Please read this Information Sheet, then fill out the Connecticut state application.
How are "bad checks" investigated and processed?
Issuing a 'bad check' is illegal in the State of Connecticut. However there are certain requirements that must be met in order for this to be investigated. There are also specific steps that must be followed, including steps that the victim must take, in order to proceed with an investigation.
In order the for the Groton Town Police Department to investigate a bad check complaint, the following requirements must be met.
- The check is dated for the date it was issued. The court will not accept cases where the check was postdated.
- The complainant did not agree to hold the check before presenting it for cash value.
- The suspect was identified by use of identification card or personal recognition.
- The check was not a third party check.
- The check was presented for payment within thirty (30) days of its issuance.
- No form of restitution has been initiated.
- No civil process of restitution has been initiated.
- That this process is started within 90 days of the check being issued.
- The victim has the original check.
- The victim must send a formal letter to the address of the suspect. The letter must be sent as certified mail with a return receipt requested. The letter must indicate the following.
- The suspect wrote the check to the victim on a specific date.
- The check was presented for payment and rejected.
- The victim demands payment of the amount of the check within eight (8) days of the receipt of the letter.
- Criminal charges will be filed in this if not complied with.
The three forms are:
- Arrest Warrant Application
- GA-10 Non-sufficient Funds- Accounts closed Checks.
- GA-10 Cashier/check receiver form.
Remember, these forms are going to be used for prosecution. So, if any portion of the forms are not completed or are inaccurate, the forms will not be accepted. Also, cross outs, and the use of whiteout is unacceptable.
Complete the Arrest Warrant Application and the GA-10 Non-sufficient Funds- Accounts closed Checks, forms, but don't sign them. These forms are to be signed in front of the assigned officer.
When the you have completed the forms and have all the documents, then come to the Groton Town Police Department Headquarters, and make the complaint.
The officer will initiate the investigation.