Welcome to the Town of Groton, Connecticut

Land Records

Land records indicate the ownership of real property. When a property transfers ownership from one entity to another the recording of that transaction is done in the Town Clerk’s office. Mortgages, financing statements, liens, attachments, releases of mortgages, and other related documents are filed with the Land Records. You will find Maps and Trade Name Certificates file here as well.

You can access Land Record information online using Cott Systems RECORDhub.

We have Land Records online from 1962 and Maps and Trade Name Certificates to the present available online for viewing. If a searcher needs to print an image, they can now do so via the internet for a fee. You are always welcome to visit our Land Records in the Town Clerk’s Office at the Groton Town Hall during normal working hours as well.

Documents for recording should be presented between 8:30am and 4:00pm. Recording fees are $60 for the first page for most documents and $5 for each additional page of a document. Copies are $1 per page with an additional $2 for certification. Fees for recording are set by State Statute. For the fees associated with recording MERS documents, please consult our fee schedule.

Copies of maps and surveys are available for $3 each.

Armed Forces Discharges

The Town Clerk handles recording of Armed Forces Discharges (usually a DD-214) which will establish eligibility for veteran's exemptions for property tax. The discharges become a permanent record of the Town, and are considered confidential records. A copy will always be available if the veteran or family needs it in the future. There is no charge for recording Armed Services Discharges.

Trade Name Certificates for businesses

State Statutes require that a Trade Name Certificate be filed by anyone doing business in the Town of Groton under a "fictitious" name. Banks require a copy of a Trade Name Certificate in order to open a business account. The charge for filing is $10, and the Town Clerk staff will assist you in completing the form.